Saturday, June 11, 2016

Pancakes!

Whole wheat pancakes were a staple of my childhood.  Perhaps it was her way of coping with her youngest childhood growing up, but my mom made pancakes for me every morning of high school. Usually with chocolate chips, since my childhood was rough like that.  My childhood home and my own home have two big things in common: we always seem to have some milk that's gone bad, and we always love pancakes!

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl (extra large if your children are going to be during the stirring.  It helps the flour to not 'escape' so much).  Add the egg and milk, use a whisk to combine.  Heat the biggest frying pan that you have (our perfect setting is just below 'medium') and when it's hot, add the oil.  When the oil is hot, pour the batter in!  My kids prefer smaller pancakes to larger ones.  When the bubbles that form in the cooking cakes pop, then they are ready to flip!

Serve with: jelly, non fat cream cheese, syrup, pureed fruit, fresh fruit, a few nuts

I also like to soak the flour overnight but that's a recipe for another day

This mornings topping options: (powdered) chocolate peanut butter, marmalade, and/or syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment