Saturday, November 21, 2015

Vegetable Lo Mein

One of our favorite LPLD dinners, fresh and delicious.

Ingredients:
8 oz angel hair or spaghetti pasta (we use whole wheat)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups sliced red peppers
1 sliced onion (we prefer red onion for more flavor)
2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups snow peas

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for as long as the box says to; drain.

In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch.

Heat a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add a tiny dash of olive oil, if desired, or use the vegetables own juices to cook them, as you add celery, mushrooms, peppers, and onion.  Cook about 3 minutes, then add the broth mixture, bean sprouts, and snow peas.  Continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender but still crisp.

In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta and vegetable mixture, and serve.

Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/54923/vegetable-lo-mein-delight/

Forgot to get a picture until we ate it all and put away the leftovers!

1 comment:

  1. I really admire that you are such a great cook and that you are adapting your recipes.

    Probably because of the age I am, and when I grew up, my mom did not have substitute ingredients.

    When I go eat at someone's house, pot luck, church events, etc., I just know that I cannot eat anything that is "mixed together" like casseroles or stew. I have asked before, what all is in this? But undoubtedly they say beef, potatoes and corn; not peanut oil or butter... So it's just easier for me and less stressful to say, "no thank you" and eat a piece of bread, fruit, or a small scoop of green beans, even if I have to discreetly dab the top of them with a napkin to collect some grease. I almost always EAT BEFORE I go anywhere. I'm sure it drives my husband crazy still. So if we get there and there's something that I actually CAN eat, I'm pleasantly surprised and I'm happy to over-eat that night. Otherwise, I'm not starving and I can eat when I get back home.

    ReplyDelete