Saturday, November 21, 2015

Vegetable Lo Mein

One of our favorite LPLD dinners, fresh and delicious.

Ingredients:
8 oz angel hair or spaghetti pasta (we use whole wheat)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups sliced red peppers
1 sliced onion (we prefer red onion for more flavor)
2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups snow peas

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for as long as the box says to; drain.

In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch.

Heat a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add a tiny dash of olive oil, if desired, or use the vegetables own juices to cook them, as you add celery, mushrooms, peppers, and onion.  Cook about 3 minutes, then add the broth mixture, bean sprouts, and snow peas.  Continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender but still crisp.

In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta and vegetable mixture, and serve.

Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/54923/vegetable-lo-mein-delight/

Forgot to get a picture until we ate it all and put away the leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. I really admire that you are such a great cook and that you are adapting your recipes.

    Probably because of the age I am, and when I grew up, my mom did not have substitute ingredients.

    When I go eat at someone's house, pot luck, church events, etc., I just know that I cannot eat anything that is "mixed together" like casseroles or stew. I have asked before, what all is in this? But undoubtedly they say beef, potatoes and corn; not peanut oil or butter... So it's just easier for me and less stressful to say, "no thank you" and eat a piece of bread, fruit, or a small scoop of green beans, even if I have to discreetly dab the top of them with a napkin to collect some grease. I almost always EAT BEFORE I go anywhere. I'm sure it drives my husband crazy still. So if we get there and there's something that I actually CAN eat, I'm pleasantly surprised and I'm happy to over-eat that night. Otherwise, I'm not starving and I can eat when I get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, people just dont get it? And will forget if they put oil or butter in?? Man, that is frustrating. I get so angry when family or close friends forget to have something for my girls. It's not fair of me. And I'm so jealous that they get to forget things like that. We sure don't forget!

    ReplyDelete