Saturday, January 5, 2019

Pumpkin Muffins

Adapted from this recipe.

If I can find a way to get vegetables into breakfast, I consider myself a pretty accomplished mom.  So this recipe, with a good amount of pumpkin and all whole-wheat flour for lots of good fiber, plus molasses to increase the iron levels of my daughters, is a favorite - even more so because my girls love them!  A warning, though - they only love them if I put pretty decorative pumpkin seeds on top.  Presentation is everything, I suppose!  I've even served them with cream cheese frosting (made with fat-free cream cheese) for a special occasion, breakfast or dessert.

Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins

  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda/ baking soda
  • 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup MCT or coconut oil
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (half a can)
  • 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds (I think 3 seeds per muffin is perfect)
Combine dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients.  Pour into 12 greased or papered muffin tins (we like to have the girls 'paint' each cup with coconut oil using a pastry brush).  Mix well, and spoon promptly into the muffin cups such that each is one half to three-quarters full.  Top with a few pumpkin seeds for decoration.  Bake at 350 F/ 180 C for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let rest in muffin tins for 5 minutes (if you can resist eating one right away) before removing.

No comments:

Post a Comment