Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Homemade Pizza Recipe


One of my proudest moments of a parent is hearing Monica declare, like most any 5 year old, that pizza is her favorite food.  I love that I can make a pizza that she loves, even with LPLD.

I haven't had luck with finding a crust that we like that's store bought, especially with low to no fat.  Instead, once a month I'll make a big batch of this sourdough pizza crust, bake them, and freeze them in a big plastic bag.  I have a sourdough culture living in my refrigerator that I really only use for this recipe.  I'll start 'feeding' it and letting it grow on the counter for a week prior to when I know I'll have time to make all those crusts.

When it's pizza night, all we have to do is take one out of the oven, cover it with our homemade all-purpose tomato sauce, sprinkle on the nonfat cheese, then top with mushrooms, pineapple, ham, chicken, olives, bell peppers, tomatoes, sautéed onions, or anything else sitting in the kitchen that sounds good!  Bake it as listed in the crust recipe above, and it's delicious.  Crisp crust that doesn't sag under the weight of all those goodies.  Very low fat.  Yum!

Half pepperoni pizza for my non-LPLD daughter, and half Hawaiian with fat free cheese!

1 comment: