Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Fancy desserts part two

My husband requested a fruit tart for Father's day - a buttery crust, creme pat/ custard filling, with fruit on top.  So I made an additional one for my LPLD girls!

I mixed graham crackers crumbs with an egg white for the crust (baked it at 350 for 10-20 min), filled it with instant vanilla pudding (with skim milk), and beautiful fruit on top, and even microwaved some strawberry jelly to brush on top to make it shiny and fantastic.  I dare you to try to tell which is which!  My eldest requests a lemon pudding next time, for some contrasting flavors.

I continue to struggle with the pie crust, though.  It stuck to the pie plate so horribly that most wasn't eaten, sigh, and it made a mess of serving it.  The leftovers the next day came out quite easily, as the pudding had softened the crust a bit - so not as crunchy, but prettier?  Maybe I'll add some crushed almonds for a bit of crunch (and fat, sigh), and plan to serve it the next day?  I've also tried graham cracker crumbs combined with apple sauce and had the same issue.  I will find a good fatless crust solution one day!

Can you tell which is fat free?


2 comments:

  1. would the crusts stick to parchment paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question - I'll give that a try! It'll be a little tricky to fold and cut it to fit a pie pan right, but it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete