Sunday, March 3, 2019

Banana Bread

My kids LOVE banana bread and it makes for an easy breakfast.  I like to soak my grains anyway, so that means I do most of it the night before, then do the final mixing step while the oven is preheating in the morning, then go back to bed until the timer wakes me up.  It's just as special as pancakes or waffles to my kids, but a WHOLE lot less work.

I have modified this recipe from Nourishing Traditions, one of my favorite cookbooks.

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups skim buttermilk/kefir/yogurt

Combine the above and let rest for 12-24 hours.  24 hours will apparently give fluffier bread, but I always forget to get it soaked that long.  In a separate bowl, combine, mix, and refrigerate:

3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 c MCT oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed thoroughly

If you don't have any nice ripe black bananas, place whole yellow bananas in a 350 degree oven for 10 min; it will turn them black and sweet, perfect for this bread

After 12-24 hr, mix the two bowls together, along with 2 teaspoons baking soda.  Pour into a 9 inch loaf pan and top with a few pecans or walnuts if desired.

Bake at 350 for 1 and a half hours, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment